My biggest challenge: Share scent in a world that relies on visual stimulation.
My solution? Make a video, of course! It was a BIG endeavor. So here's my advice for folks stepping into creative projects:
1) Collaborate with people that make the process enjoyable. Avoid people that make you uncomfortable. My videographer was the passionate and driven Jana Birchum. She found gorgeous shots with her keen sense of light and edited the final footage to perfection. I am so thankful for the kind and patient participation of Jonathan Braden, Meredith Carmichael, Clarisa Ramirez, Ashantee McGhee, and Amrit Khalsa. Remember to surround yourself with good people.
2) Strive for perfection and don't settle for less. At one point Jana and I moved the entire room around because the light was not perfect. Books went under the table legs, various bounce cards, and curtains were hung. It was a lot of work, but I am so glad we did because the result is the opening shot of beautifully lit bottles.
3) Be wise enough to know when you have gotten your best work, and move forward. I was a wee bit nervous about talking directly to the camera, but once the camera started rolling, I dug in. We got it in the can within the first few takes. (side note, my secret is to envision the camera as my closest friends.) We could have tried for better takes, but why? We got it. Move on.
4) Mistakes happen. Let it go. I did not want to wear the same shirt in two shots. I was getting tired and forgot to change shirts. Does it matter? Nope, so move on.
5) Lastly, Be proud of your efforts. I have been dreaming about this video for years. The timing was right and now it's here. I am wishing you all the best on your next big, bold, creative work!